essential knowledge on teaching methodologies, tactics, and strategies for teaching at various
levels, enabling them to be effective professional teachers and classroom communicators.
The student will have general and specific knowledge in teachers’ preparations of teaching
materials, lesson plans, unit outlines, and scheme of work as well as various instructions in
teaching techniques. The four-year programme has three options: secondary teaching
education (STE), Primary teaching education (PTE) and Early Childhood Teaching
Secondary Teaching Education (STE)
STE option aims at producing graduates with a solid grounding in the principle and
practice of education, an understanding of relevant educational theories and practices, an
understanding of modern pedagogical techniques, knowledge on various arts subjects,
knowledge on education courses, the ability to teach arts subjects and humanities
effectively, and the ability to plan, guide and implement educational policies. The
possible teaching subjects’ combinations are as follows:
1. English Language & Literature in English
2. Mathematics & Business Studies
3. Mathematics & Information Technology
4. Mathematics & History
5. Mathematics & Geography
6. Mathematics and Religious Studies
7. Geography & Religious Studies
8. Geography & Kiswahili
9. Geography & History
10. History & Religious Studies
11. History & Kiswahili
12. Kiswahili & Religious Studies
Primary Teaching Education (PTE)
PTE option is intended to equip to equip learners with competencies to handle teaching
and manage learning of their specialty (primary education programmes), in arts subjects,
namely, mathematics, social studies, English, Kiswahili, Christian religious education,
and information and communication technology (ICT). Teaching practice and teaching
subjects’ methods are required.
Early Childhood Education (ECD) Option
The undergraduate Early Childhood programme is (Competency Based Curriculum) CBC
compliant. It equips the learners with competencies of handling teaching and managing
learning in all subjects: Languages, Mathematics, Science, Music and movement,
Christian religious education, Social studies, Art and craft and Physical education. It is
designed for primary school teachers, supervisors, managers, ECD care givers, Sunday
school workers, Para-church children’s workers, children trainers, life coaches and
How This Course Will Benefit Your Career
- Effectively teach arts based subjects and primary or secondary levels.
- Conduct research on art-based educational issues.
- Develop instructional materials for arts-based subjects.
- Utilise arts subjects teaching methodologies to adapt to the changing education environment and demands.
- Provide guidance and advisory services in career paths in arts-related fields.
What jobs will I qualify for?
- Education Adminstrator
- Primary/Secondary School Teacher
- Community Education Officer
- Youth Worker
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN LEADERSHIP AND GOVERNANCE
On Campus, 4 years, January 2020
On Campus, 3 quarters, January 2020
BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT
On Campus, 3 years, January 2020