What will I study?
Over 24 weeks our extensive programme will give you the foundations and skills to be a competent and confident chef or pastry chef in the hospitality industry. This is a fast track practical programme including classical basic and intermediate techniques in professional cuisine or patisserie in line with the modern trends of the industry supported with set assignments.
In order to benefit from the very best teaching of Culinary Arts and Patisserie in the UK, each class size for this programme is limited to maximise the training for each student. Continual assessment will be undertaken during the course to provide evidence of culinary expertise in all aspects of kitchen skills undertaken within the teaching kitchen. Our students will have access to the excellent facilities at Westminster Kingsway College which include specialist teaching kitchens for butchery, patisserie, baking and food preparation. You will be assessed on this course through practical observation as well as a final examination and written analysis. You will study Kitchen and Larder specialist techniques that are essential in today’s modern professional kitchen.
On the International Culinary Diplomas, the following is also included on the course:
• Bespoke teaching resource packs for your course
• Access to the College’s Virtual Kitchen and Resources website giving you practical support in your studies
• Regular practical kitchen sessions and demonstrations with the top Chef Lecturers and experts in Culinary Arts and/or Patisserie and Confectionery
• Enhanced catering theory classes to compliment the practical studies that you will undertake and a practical kitchen gastronomy programme
• Complimentary copies of the Professional Chef Series course books
• Industry visits to employers, catering suppliers and food producers as well as to some of London’s top kitchens and markets
• Culinary tours including visits overseas
• Membership of the College Gastronomic Society and Craft Guild of Chefs
• Take part in International award winning Culinary Arts Competition Team
Also included on the International Culinary Diplomas:
• Food Hygiene and Safety Certificate
• Specialist seminars in game with leading experts
• Plate and presentation techniques, including food art
• Specialist skills sessions to add extra skills as you learn
• Visits to suppliers, London markets and London hotels/restaurants
• Planning, development and cooking for a dinner or series of desserts for large parties
• Time and waste management sessions
• Bespoke culinary projects and Food and Wine Matching
• Menu planning and costing advice
• 1 to 1 personal development consultations
• Access to online resources
• Practical skills tests
• Bespoke scheme of work for each student on the course
• Final Diploma exam preparation
On the International Culinary Diploma, you will learn practical skills in*:
• Stocks, sauces and soups
• Fish and shellfish
• Vegetable and potato dishes
• Eggs, pasta and rice
• Butchery techniques
• Curing, smoking and pickles
• Basic desserts and pastry
• Kitchen garden management
• Bread and other dough product
*Final module selection subject to change at the start of the course. All food produced is mindful of seasonality, sustainability and ethical sourcing.
Culinary Tours and external visits: During the course, you will have the opportunity to go on overseas visits or to UK suppliers to learn about new techniques and to see different food cultures.
Westminster Kingsway College is proud to be members of the following organisations and affiliations who support our chef students and alumni:
- National Skills Academy Hospitality
- Craft Guild of Chefs
- British Culinary Federation
- The Master Chefs of Great Britain
- Association Culinaire Francaise
How This Course Will Benefit Your CareerThe practical aim of this fast-track course is to present students with a comprehensive understanding of Culinary Arts and the classical skills required to work in the top professional kitchens of the world. This course will enable you to develop your career path within the International Hospitality industry. You can progress onto the optional extension course – Higher International Culinary Diploma – or other optional modules.
- London6 months