The Master’s Degree in Integrated Architecture Projects prepares architects to work on a global stage in a professional environment characterized by growing technical and organizational complexity.
In this master’s degree program students learn how the world’s top architecture studios work. They are organized into “interdisciplinary project offices” as part of a proven collaborative work model which is the first of its kind in Spain. This has enabled students of Universidad Europea’s School of Architecture, Engineering and Design to win prizes for their projects in international competitions.
The program is based on developing a single project chosen individually by each Master’s student in line with their interests, sensibilities, vocation and concerns. The classes are taught as workshops and led by highly renowned professionals; they are coordinated and focused solely on helping students develop their personal projects which will become their Master’s Thesis.
In the workshops, students develop their projects using the most innovative hardware and software for design, manufacturing and prototyping. The workshops take place in Universidad Europea’s FAB LAB, one of the only facilities of its kind in Spain (pending official recognition from MIT). Here they learn all about the interactive and evolutionary possibilities of simulations that use parametric design and BIM, and the prototyping benefits offered by laser cutters, 3D printers, routers and robots, while learning how to operate all these tools.
Workshops are taught in English in order to strengthen the students’ international profile. Additionally, students will study abroad at the Architectural Association in London, one of the world’s most prestigious architecture schools, where they will attend an intensive workshop on digital manufacturing. And, at the end of the Master’s Program, they will spend 3 months at the Architectural Design Institute at the University of Tongji in Shanghai, in order to experience China’s urban development first-hand in a city that has become a vast testing ground for the possibilities of leading architectural trends.
Detailed course information
MODULE. PROFESSIONAL SKILLS
• Professional organization systems.
• Conceptual narrative of projects.
• Communication strategies aimed at other technical team members, clients and society.
• Advanced digital modeling.
• Graphic, oral, written, and multimedia presentation of students’ projects.
MODULE. CONTEMPORARY SOCIETY AND CULTURE
• Culture and perception, with special emphasis on the differences between East and West.
• Influences between architecture and art.
• Relationships between architecture, science and technology.
• Building the cities of the future.
• New contemporary territories.
MODULE. ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN WORKSHOP
• Research and definition of the project’s subject and context.
• Forming interdisciplinary teams.
• Learning contract: work plan for the entire Master’s Program.
MODULE. SUSTAINABLE SYSTEMS IN ARCHITECTURE AND TERRITORY
• Critical analysis of buildings that represent technological integration and incorporation of advanced technologies as a design tool.
• Interdisciplinary nature of the architectural project.
• Theoretical positioning.
• Simulations. Creating digital models for subsequent analysis using different parameters, and updating the design based on the results obtained.
MODULE. INTEGRAL TECHNOLOGY SYSTEMS IN ARCHITECTURE
• Advanced use of workshops.
• Digital ecosystem. Introduction to the most important digital design and manufacturing tools, analyzing the possibilities offered by each one as a means to create architecture.
• Preparation of the course blog, for compiling the portfolio.
• Prototyping. Creating complex analog models used to develop the most important technological aspects of the project.
The Master´s Thesis is a multidisciplinary comprehensive project that integrates the contents and competences acquired during the program, including the knowledge obtained through during the development of the professional internship/research. It will consist in the development of an integrated architectural project of 11 ECTS credits (7 ECTS credits autonomous work, 2,5 ECTS tutorials, 1 ECTS debates, 0,5 ECTS credits oral presentations). Moreover, the Master´s Thesis includes 0,5 ECTs credits research -applied to the development of the thesis- and a supervised work of 0,5 ECTS credits about the profession of architects (Legislation, professional profiles, competences and access to the international practice) that should focus on the international context where the project shall be developed. Both works -research and professional- will be integrated within the Master´s Thesis.
The Thesis will be supervised by a faculty member of the program. The Master´s Director will know and authorize the title and content of each project before its presentation. Once the project is approved, it will be defended before a jury panel in public. The jury will be formed by the Master´s Director, the Academic Director of the School, and an architect of recognized prestige.
Throughout the program students will visit leading studios of different sizes and strategic formulations in order to gain firsthand knowledge about each one’s business organization and international perspectives. We have contacted the following offices: S-M.A.O. Sancho Madridejos Architectural Office, Nieto Sobejano, Abalos + Sentkiewicz Arquitectos, aceboXalonso, Matos Castillo Arquitectos, dosmasunoarquitectos, Selgas Cano, Ensamble Studio, ecosistemaurbano, Rubio & Álvarez Sala, Shanghai Archi-Union Architecture Design, Shanghai Pro-form Architectural Design Consultants, Atelier Liu Yuyang Architects, MADA s.p.a.m., Atelier Deshaus, SOM, BAU International, GMP, ARQUITECTONICA, Neri & Hu Design and Research Office, Miralles Tagliabue EMBT, Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, ARUP.
The Master´s Degree was launched in the course 2012-2013
Where and When
Villaviciosa de Odón Campus
Urbanización El Bosque Calle Tajo, s/n, Madrid, Villaviciosa de Odón, Spain
Email & Website
Phone & Location
- Urbanización El Bosque Calle Tajo, s/n, 28670,
- Villaviciosa de Odón, Madrid4 years
- Madrid4 years