Founded by Chris Vorster, the Southern Business School (SBS) first opened its doors to 38 students in 1996 and today, its numbers have grown to approximately 11,324 students from across Africa, including citizens of South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Throughout the years, the institution has held fast to its principles of quality, affordability, recognition, and customer service, and with these values underpinning all of its actions and decisions, the school has created successful leaders in both the private and public sectors. SBS has three academic schools, namely the School of Business and Economics, the School of Safety in Society, and the School of Law, and offers dedicated formal programmes, as well as short courses, on a wide range of topics including leadership in management, business and commerce, as well as law and policing.
The Centre For Management and Leadership Development (CMLD) is an organisational unit within the Southern Business School and is passionate about 'creating leaders' - leaders who consider their future and who will be able to effectively and meaningfully contribute to the development of the economies of Africa, leading to job creation, social upliftment, wealth, and prosperity. Both SBS and CMLD strive to continuously meet the demand for quality education at a reasonable price, and are dedicated to offering students a superb, flexible, and accommodating learning experience by keeping students at the focus of all their attentions. Although the CMLD office is located in Gauteng (Krugersdorp area), it operates nationally, geared to deliver training (short courses and Management Development Programmes) in other parts of the continent.
- Affordable programmes accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE)
- International Recognition
- Examination venues countrywide in South Africa and Namibia, as well as several other international venues
- A well-stocked library on-campus with online resources, national and international journals, and approximately 135,000 e-books
- Internal quality assurance processes and regular peer reviews to ensure the relevance and quality of all the courses we offer
- Opportunities for students to study at their own pace and convenience, ensuring their education fits in with their lifestyle
- Qualifications that endorsed by the South African Board for People Practices (SABPP), Project Management South Africa (PMSA), Disaster Management Institute of Southern Africa (DMISA), Financial Services Board (FSB), Policing Association of Southern Africa (POLSA), Criminological and Victomological Society of South Africa (CRIMSA), Institute for Municipal Finance Officers (IMFO) and National Treasury (NT).
The principles of SBS and CMLD provide a solid foundation for year-on-year growth in student numbers and continued improvement of the overall learning experience, and we stay committed to providing and encouraging lifelong learning in our students so that they are able to emerge as thoughtful, confident graduates who can contribute to the economic and social development of Africa.